Trinity Lutheran Church Homepage

Click here for our worship servicesClick here for directions to TrinityClick here to contact us or request informationClick here for the Trinity WindowClick here for a Virtual Tour of Trinity!Click here for fun stuff at Trinity!Click here for the joyous sound of TrinityClick here for the Member Directory of TrinityClick here for info on our faith as LutheransClick here for our educational programsClick here for our church groups and linksClick here for the Emerson Apartments

 

Click here to learn more about Trinity's architecture

Click here to learn more about Trinity's architecture

 

Click here for a Virtual Tour of Trinity!

Be sure to see the beautiful architecture and learn the history of Trinity in our Virtual Tour! Click the picture above or use the link at the left.

About Trinity

Trinity Lutheran Church, built in 1870, is one of the finest examples of High Victorian Gothic in the city of New Haven. The sanctuary was originally built for the Church of the Redeemer, which first occupied it in 1871. The building was purchased by Trinity Lutheran Church in 1916.

The edifice, constructed of brick and Portland brownstone, was designed by David Russell Brown. (He worked with Henry Austin on the design of the New Haven City Hall in 1861.) Trinity's building is considered by Elizabeth Mills Brown to be "New Haven's most important church of the late 19th century."* Its architectural significance was recognized by a landmark plaque from New Haven Preservation Trust in 1964.

The rose window, the unofficial symbol of the congregation, was installed when the church was built in 1870. The interior has been maintained in a handsome Victorian style.

A lavish stained glass window by Louis Comfort Tiffany, which pictures Jesus and a young child, was installed in 1916. The triad of windows depiction was installed in 1928, near the end of the building's first restoration.

The altar was erected in memory of Jacob and Margaretha Leyerzapf in 1918; it was restored in 1964, in memory of Otto and Elizabeth Pieper.

The baptismal font was created by Mme. Suzanne Silvercruys Farnam, noted sculptress. It was presented by the family of Rev. John A. Timm, under whose pastorate the church was purchased. The angel figures are portrait studies of Rev.Timm's granddaughters, Renee and Jane.

The Organ is a three manual Cassavant (Canadian) with 37 stops; it is electric pneumatic. Installed in 1954, it incorporates two ranks from the organ purchased with the church in 1916.

*Reference: New Haven, A Guide to Architecture and Urban Design. Elizabeth Mills Brown, Yale: 1976. p. 115

 

 

Jump to Top of Page

Copyright © 2004 Trinity Lutheran Church. All Rights Reserved ...and God is watching :)